
Carissa over at 1+1+1=1 has come up with an idea called Raising Rock Stars. She has been posting their family devotions and sharing them with the rest of us. I think this is such a great idea and thought that I would add our morning devotion times to this blog.
We do a morning devotion and worship time each morning before starting school. We just started a book called Big thoughts for Little People. the kids have enjoyed it so far. I thought I would share what we have learned so far.
* A is for asking. We ask when we pray. God's happy to answer us each day.
"Tell God your needs and don't forget to thank him for his answers." Philippians 4:6
We talked about what we were thankful for and and we talked about the difference in a want or a need. The kids looked in magazines and cut out pictures of wants and needs and glued them to the correct page.
* B is for Behave; It means doing what is right. Be happy and helpful; Don't argue or fight.
"Jesus said,"If you love me, obey me." John 14:15
That morning my mom was in town and the kids had been acting up.We used this devotion to talk with them about honoring God and obeying Lovie.
*C is for Crying. It hurts when you fall,but please don't cry about nothing at all.
"A cheerful heart does good like medicine." Proverbs 17:22
Anytime that my kids get hurt we pray, "In the name of Jesus be healed." We are teaching them that God is the great physician. Despite our efforts I still have a child that is a bit of a hypocondriact.
For this lesson we name construction paper band aids and wrote different illnesses and things on them. I talked to the kids about the difference in a serious illness or injury and a small illness or injury. We talked about having a cheerful heart even if things are pretty bad. We learned that God is bigger.
D is for Doing what needs to be done. So please do it cheerfully; Then you'll have fun.
"Do for others what you want them to do for you." Matthew 7:12
For this we talked about how people from the church brought us food when I had my surgery. We discussed what things we would want others to do for us and how we should do those things for others. We also talked about the chores that we don't like to do and came up with ways we could make them fun. (don't complain and make up a game) We then called the church and asked to be put on the list for the next food delivery. I will have the kids go with me to deliver the food and we will talk about being a blessing to others.
* E is for Everyone. God loves us all: The black and white and short and tall.
"See how very much our heavenly Father loves us, for he allows us to be called his children." 1 John 3:1
We made pictures of ourselves using construction paper and yarn. We talked about our differences. We then mad a picture of Sally. (one of our previous foster placements) We put all of the pictures together and talked about the differences and how God loves us all not matter what we look like. He created us. So we should also love all people.
3 comments:
This is great, thanks for sharing!
;) Carisa
I really like this idea. Sounds like a lot of work though. :)
well, We read most of it out of the book.i just tied the other stuff in. it was stuff we would have done anyway, I just figured I would kill two birds with one stone. HAHA
Post a Comment