Friday, February 19, 2010

Download and Go

Download and Go

Download and Go is an amazing new product written by Amanda Bennett and TOS. This curriculum is, Lap booking, Unit Studies, and Daily Lessons all rolled into one. It is marketed for grades K-4th. Each study is set up to last five days. I had read about this product on another blog and was eager to give it a try. I was so excited when I found out I would be reviewing it.

We received her Expedition Australia Unit last Friday, and given our current Home school slump we started using it first thing Monday morning. I went ahead and printed all of the material and organized it in a binder. This made it easier for Hailey to sort through and complete the activities. Each day has been packed with new and exciting information and activities about Australia. Hailey has had a blast working through each day’s activities, and even asked if we could do another one sometime.

While I was willing, and excited to use this product, I was still skeptical about whether or not it would cover a wide enough variety of material to be worth it. I was pleasantly surprised as the week went on. We not only covered concepts in Math, History, Science, Vocabulary, Handwriting, Reading, English, and Spelling, but we also covered Art, Computer, Other Cultures, Cooking, and Poetry. I was also pleasantly surprised at how easily I could alter the material to include my preschooler. This was the breath of fresh air we were looking for.

Like any curriculum there are both pro’s and con’s.

Pros:

*Unlike most Lap Books and Unit Studies all of the materials were pulled together for me.
*It covered a wide variety of subjects.
*The material was appealing both visually, and in content.
*Because it is distributed as an E-book, I can use the materials over and over with each child, and I don’t have to re-purchase them.
*I was able to easily adapt the material to include my preschooler, and it could be adapted to include older students as well.
*The materials were easy to organize and were already broken into days.
*The themes covered are interesting to both the parent and the child.

Cons:

*On top of purchasing the E-books there is a lot of printing involved. The ink that would be used to print these materials could get pricy.
*While each study covers a wide range of subjects, you would needs to supplement. So if you were planning to use this as your sole curriculum that would be an extra expense.
*You need to have access to High speed internet to take full advantage of the links and videos provided in your study. However, with a bit of library research you would not need those links.

Overall I would highly recommend this product to anyone. We will be purchasing several of the units, and using them with our Home school curriculum.

How can you get it?

You can purchase this product from This Old Schoolhouse.One of the great things about this product is their different purchasing options. So weather you are planning on using these studies all year, or just once in a while, there is something for you.

You can currently purchase all 38 weeks of material for $190.00. If you purchase now you will receive a FREE copy of the Birthday Bonanza study. By purchasing all of you studies at once you will save a total of $112.00.

You can purchase 19 Studies for $119.00

You can purchase a bundle of four studies that you choose for $30.00

They have also put together bundles of four based on the month. You can purchase those for $30.00

I received this product free for the purpose of reviewing it. I received no other compensation for this review. The opinions expressed in this review are my personal, honest opinions. Your experience may vary.

1 comment:

Amanda Bennett said...

So glad that you all enjoyed Expedition Australia! Thanks for sharing your experience. I had to laugh when I saw the name of your blog - that could describe me perfectly - "Confessions of a Non-Domestic Housewife!" :-)

Blessings,
Amanda B.
www.UnitStudy.com