Tuesday, February 23, 2010

WannaBe™-When I Grow up I Want to be a Firefighter- Review



The Old Schoolhouse recently sent me WannaBe™-When I Grow up I Want to be a Firefighter unit to review. I had not heard of this series before and was excited about looking at it. Though my kids have no current interest in being a firefighter, I thought it would be a fun Unit study. The target age range for this study is 4-10. I had a really hard time adapting it to the level of my 4 and 7 year old. Other than a few handwriting activities, and coloring sheets I did not feel that it was on their age level.

That said, I did read over the entire unit and found that if you had a child that was interested in becoming a Firefighter, or even just learning about it that was 10-13 this would be a great product to purchase. The unit was not broken into days so you would need to do that, but it covers so much material that your child would not be left with many questions.

Here are some of the topics you will find in this e-book (taken from the web site):

• Discover the history of firefighters and the evolution of firefighting equipment.
• Learn what other emergencies firefighters respond to.
• Explore the ins and outs of a fire truck.
• Pretend you are a building inspector and learn about building codes.
• Meet a real-life fireman and hear him describe his job in his own words.
• Fall in love with Wilshire, the fire dog, who teaches children fire safety.
• Examine the pay scale for firefighters across the country.
• Learn about the relationship between firefighters and robots and build your own robotic arm!
• But that's only the beginning!


My over all thoughts of this product is that this is a great e-book, and a useful tool for interested children but, the age is off a bit. I would recommend this product for use in your home school for older children. If you are a multi age family you could adapt this to fit younger children with the addition of a few books from the library, and a few more age appropriate activities.

This e-book can be purchased for $8.95 from the This Old Schoolhouse store.
If firefighting is not your child’s interest, check out the other e-book units in the WannaBe -When I Grow Up Series:

• Veterinarian
• Chef
• Military
• Doctor
• Police Officer
• Missionary
• Artist
• Pilot, and
• Farmer

No comments: