Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Your Baby Can Read




A while back my mom got us the Your Baby Can Read Program. We have been using it off and on. I have heard a lot of skeptics so I thought I would go ahead and do a review of the program.

When I opened the box I was surprised to see all that was involves with the program. I thought it was just videos. It includes books, flashcards, DVDs, Word game cards, and a How to Parent's guide. WOW! I felt a bit better about it knowing it's not just sitting them in front of the TV. It also encourages reading constantly to your child, using word cards, playing games. and really anything that involves reading.

We started the program with Christopher and he loves the video's, but Sammy will not sit and watch them at all. I was impressed with the other things that it teaches like, Colors, Beginning Sounds, Mouth, Nose, etc. Word blends and much more. We haven't used the program as suggested, so no my baby can't read. LOL!

My Thoughts:

I think this is a great tool and I know children using the program that can read. I do not think it is worth that hefty price tag. I do like how it encourages parents to spend more time with their children, and to not just sit them in front of a TV all day. It has some great teaching materials, but nothing you can't make yourself. For those who are looking for something that's already laid out for them, this is a great choice. For those who are willing to do the foot work themselves it's a waste of money. I know that the program works, and if you were sending them to grandma's all day this would be a great tool. Also, if you are not normally inclined to focus on your child's education this is a great tool as your baby will learn from the video's alone. I am glad that we have it and I regularly put the items in my child's work boxes, but I would not have purchased it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good review. :)

I have it, too, but I haven't used it consistently with my baby. I keep meaning to! :D