Wednesday Morning June 16th, I noticed that the back of Hailey’s hair was soaking wet. I asked the Nurse about it and she said that Hailey had been sweating. I was fearful that the bacteria from the sweat would get in the incisions and cause further infection, so I asked her if we could wash her hair. While the nurse was gone to get the stuff needed to wash Hailey’s hair, the NS came in. he immediately questioned me about Hailey’s hair. I told him that the nurse had said she was sweating. It turns out her incisions were leaking CSF. He immediately set her up to put stitches in to stop the leak.
Upon further inspection they found that there was swelling in the Brain, and Fluid build up. In order to release that pressure they were going to have to place an external shunt to drain the fluid. They were also afraid that she had a reaction to the derma patch, and were going to have to re-open the incisions from her first decompression and clean the area and see where the leak was coming from.
She was taken back to surgery, and about 2 hours later they informed us that all went well, and that they found the leak and cleaned things up.
She was pretty out of it the rest of that night. It breaks my heart to see her this way, and to know that there is nothing I can do to help her.
No comments:
Post a Comment