This summer is blowing by. I only have a few weeks to get everything together for the start of school. Last year was our first year Homeschooling, and my mind was bombarded by great and fun ideas I had, and that I found through the blogging world. As a result of trying to do it all, we did not get as much done as I would have liked to, so this year we are going to stream line things a but. We will only be using things that work for us, and that are our very favorite ideas. If we find that something is not working, I will not worry about it this year. All things, even the best of ideas, do not work for all families.
The children will be doing several things together. We are going to have a morning board that we will use for many of our joint things. (More to come on this)
Pre-K
(I will be doing a lot of things with Christopher this year, but I have not sat down and hashed it all out. Here are the things I know we will be using)
*Handwriting Without Tears
*Kumon Books
*Manipulative
*Abeka K4
*Bible Fun with Science
*Songs for Saplings
*Leap Frog Learning DVD’s
*Bob Books
Second Grade
*Bible- Songs for Saplings, I Can Read God’s Word, Scripture Memory, Family Bible Study
*English/Phonics- Abeka, Manipulative,
*Science/Health- Abeka, Bible fun with Science
*Math- Abeka, Manipulative
*History/Geography-Abeka, States Study (books and cards from Target), Download and Go
*Handwriting- Abeka Cursive, A Reason for Writing, Copy Work, Journal, Thank you cards, Pen Pal (Still need one if your child is interested)
*Spelling-Abeka, Manipulative
*Art- To be Determined
*Reading- Library Books, Abeka Readers, American Girl, All Different types of books, Hooked on Phonics Master Reader Program
*P.E.- Outside Play, Wii Fit, Yoga, Track and Field Etc,
*Computer- Blogging, Typing, Games, Time 4 Learning
*Photography- Weekly photography project, Blog
We will be doing a few Download and Go Unit Studies throughout the year.
8 comments:
I'm intrigued by your photography project. We're planning on doing some photography in conjunction with an artist study of Ansel Adams. I'd love to hear more about what you're doing!
Looks like a great year!
We'll be using the Kumon workbooks for our pre-k too. Hope you have a great year!
Great looking year ahead! I have a (nearly) 7 year old and (nearly) 4 year old, and a 6 month old, so a similar aged crew. :)
I nosed around your blog a bit... I hope Hailey is doing well!
As someone whose family has been homeschooling now for 9 years (!), let me definitely encourage you to not worry about trying to do too much, especially in these early years - your idea of streamlining is great. Focus on your relationship with your kids and keeping your house running smoothly while fitting in the amount of "schooling" that works for you. By the time high school hits, you'll be very glad for a strong relationship!!! And then the kids will be independent in their schoolwork. And you'll realize that it was far less important that they learn all those details at 6 and 7, but was more important that they learned to love God and be part of a loving family. OK, 'nuff said! Enjoy your year!
I know the temptation to do too much all too well! :-) We love HWT and the Leap Frog DVDs for the little guys here too.
Love the photography idea. I think that's something my oldest and I could really enjoy together.
Cool blog! I would love to learn more about the photography for my second grader.
Amy
Post a Comment