Sunday, March 6, 2011

The wild Goose Chase

 

muscles_of_the_lower_leg1

About a month ago I noticed that Hailey had begun turning her right foot inward as she walked. This was very inconsistent, so I decided just to watch and see how things went. Later that same week I decided we would get out and ride the bike she had gotten for her birthday. I quickly realized that she did not have the leg strength to peddle. SIGH! I tried not to cry, but it was very overwhelming to realize that Hailey had yet another battle to overcome. She will overcome, She ALWAYS does.

After I made this discovery, I started to ask others what they thought. I guess I should quit doing that, because I got so many different opinions that I started to doubt myself. Well, the doubt was gone when a friend of mine, whom I had not said anything to, asked what was wrong with Hailey’s leg. I knew then that I had to make an appointment.

I called the Neurosurgeon, who said to call the Pediatrician, who said to call the Neurosurgeon. And so the story goes when you are dealing with Chiari/Syringomyilea. We did end up going to the Ped. who looked Hailey over and acknowledged that she was weaker in her right leg. All that did was lead to more questions, and more tests. She is referring Hailey to have a MRI/CT scan. If there are any changes in that she will send us back to the Neurosurgeon.   She is also sending Hailey to get a Physical Therapy Evaluation done. Basically she thinks it’s due to the Chiari. and our NS doesn’t think anything could ever be related to the Chiari.

Just so we are clear I am going to list the most common symptoms of Chiari. and Syringomyelia. After you read them, you make your decision.

Chriari Malformation

  • Neck pain (running down the shoulders at times) 
  • Unsteady gait (problems with balance)
  • Poor hand coordination (fine motor skills)
  • Numbness and tingling of the hands and feet
  • Dizziness
  • Difficulty swallowing (sometimes accompanied by gagging, choking and vomiting)
  • Vision problems (blurred or double vision)
  • Slurred speech

Less often, people with Chiari malformation may experience:

  • Ringing or buzzing in the ears (tinnitus)
  • Poor bladder control
  • Chest pain, in a band-like pattern around the chest
  • Curvature of the spine (scoliosis) related to spinal cord impairment
  • Abnormal breathing — specifically, sleep apnea, characterized by periods of breathing cessation during sleep

Syringomyelia

  • Muscle weakness and wasting (atrophy)
  • Loss of reflexes
  • Loss of sensitivity to pain and temperature

Other signs and symptoms of syringomyelia may include:

  • Stiffness in your back, shoulders, arms and legs
  • Pain in your neck, arms and back
  • Bowel and bladder function problems
  • Muscle weakness and spasms in your legs
  • Facial pain or numbness
  • Spinal curvature (scoliosis)

No comments: