Saturday, May 28, 2011

Make your own weighted Critter Piller

P1016069

Weighted products such as, blankets lap pads and neck wraps are very popular tools in the world of Occupational therapy. One product I have found to work well with Christopher is a weighted neck wrap. We use this when he is having difficulty sitting for story time, or sitting at the dinner table. The pressure seems to help him calm down a little bit. Click the link below for a great explanation of why weighted products work.

http://www.sensorycraver.com/weighted-products-c-55.html

When I first started looking into weighted items, I saw how expensive they are and so I did not even try to get any. But then one day I saw a few Critter Piller in a consignment store. I decided to purchase them and make my own neck wrap to see how the work. I’m so glad I did. Making your own is quite easy, so here goes.

Directions:

  1. Get a Critter Piller, or something like them. You can purchase a Critter Piller for about $10.00. I got mine for $3.00 at consignment. I like Critter Pillers, because they have zippers. :)

P1016066

2. Open the back and remove half of the stuffing.

P1016065

3. Spread 2lbs of butter beans evenly throughout the pillow. I used butter beans because they are bigger and can spread more evenly.

P1016064

4. Place a layer of stuffing over the beans to keep them in place.

P1016068

5. Zip and enjoy!

No comments: