This year I decided to have Hailey take piano lessons. Her teacher is an old soul. An extremely classically minded person. I noticed that she was playing a “Go Fish” game with Hailey, using cards she had made featuring classical composers. Hailey seemed really interested, so I decided I would do a study of composers this year. Needless to say I was excided when I was asked to review A Young Scholar’s Guide to Composers from Bright Ideas Press.
A Young Scholar’s Guide to Composers is a 32 week multi-level study of composers intended for grades 4-8 (The lessons in this book were easy to adapt to teach my third grader, and could be adapted for even younger grades)
This program includes:
- 32 Weekly Lessons
- 26 Bios of Famous Composers
- 6 Eras of Music Explained
- Easy-to-Use Comparative Timeline
- Easy-to-Use Maps
- Composer Info-Cards & Game Directions
- Note-taking Pages
- Quizzes
- Answer Keys
- Listening Suggestions
- Intricate Coloring Pages
- Resource Books
Each week you study a different composer, listening to his music and learning about his life. Click the link below to view a sample lesson http://brightideaspress.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/a-young-scholars-guide-to-composers-sample-opt.pdf
We found the lesson plans easy to follow, and the information given about each composer was just enough as to not overwhelm Hailey. We did not purchase music from each composer, but found some great resources on YouTube.
You can purchase this book from Timberdoodle.com for $31.50, that’s $3.45 cheaper than most other places. Timber doodle also offers other music resources for Homeschoolers.
http://www.timberdoodle.com/homeschooling_music_s/32.htm
Final Thoughts:
We have been using this as a curriculum for two weeks now, and we have thoroughly enjoyed it. Hailey told me she loved the music we have listened to, and has now decided she want to be a composer when she grows up. As stated before, we found the lessons easy to use and to adapt as needed. We loved the coloring pages, and the map work. This book gets a high recommendation from me, and we are going to continue using it this year as we study composers.
For more great Homeschool Recourses visit:
As a member of Timberdoodle's Blogger Review Team I received a free copy of A Young Scholar's Guide to Composers in exchange for a frank and unbiased review.


No comments:
Post a Comment