Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Year Round Homeschooling- Part 2

 

As promised, here is our Families' Pros and Cons when it comes to Homeschooling year round.

Cons:

For our family there are only a few Cons, really there’s just not very much bad about year round Homeschooling.

  • I like the extra time to plan for the next year
  • Our cover school keeps 180 days of records, and so it’s hard to adapt a year round schedule to that kids of grading setup.
  • Occasionally the kids will be in a higher grade than their peers, so that makes it confusing when activities are broken into grades, and not ages. 
  • I have to start planning the next curriculum while still completing the current curriculum.

Pro’s:

  • My kids thrive on a schedule. Year round schooling makes it easier for my to keep a set schedule. Even if we only do “light” schooling in the summer, they still have the expectation of the school schedule.
  • To much down time is no good for my kids, and usually get’s them in trouble.
  • We don’t have to do MONTH’s worth of review, because my kids will not have forgotten the information during the summer.
  • Having children with “Special Powers” means that there could be a number of days where traditional learning is just not possible, and we may need to take a small break. Year round schooling means that I can do that without worrying that I won’t have time to get the work done.
  • If my children are not “getting” a concept, we can slow down and work at their pace without falling behind. Likewise, if we need to speed up we do.
  • Schooling year round gives you more time to focus on a special interest.
  • My kids are not self entertainers so, I spend much of the summer trying to figure out how to entertain them, and we all end up frustrated and bored. Or, we spend WAY to much money on activities just trying to get through the summer.
  • Last but not least, it fit’s with our philosophy of learning, “ We want them to experience education through all aspects of life, and not solely through a textbook.” Since we believe that learning is a whole life experience, it makes since for us to do year round schooling. Schooling for us is not necessarily formal, and summertime opens up a lot of field trip opportunities. 

So that about sums it up for us. I have enjoyed sharing our thoughts on year round homeschooling, an I hope you can take something from this post, however, I did want to make sure that you know that what is right for my family may not be what’s right for yours.

No comments: