Thursday, February 23, 2012

Colossians- Living in 3D

I am continuing to study Colossians with Community Bible Studies. It’s amazing how much information is packed into a book of only four chapters. There are so many things I am learning from this book, but I don’t think I would ever have time to post it all, so I will continue to pick an choose. Let’s dig in.

Colossians 1:15 says, “He is the image of the invisible God, the first born over all creation.”  The English word image comes from the Greek word eikon, which means reflection.

When I first read the word reflection I immediately thought of a mirror. But a mirror is a one-dimensional image. But, God didn’t send just a reflection of himself, He sent Himself in flesh, He sent every part of himself.

Colossians 1:19 says, “God was pleased to have ALL of his fullness dwell in Him”.

Think about how many parents spend huge amounts of money on video equipment, so they can have the added dimensions of sound and motion when recording the development of their children. Those added dimensions give increased revelation of how wonderful the baby really is.

Jesus added sound and motion to our picture of God. Moreover, he even added flesh and bones. God became seeable, touchable—he became knowable in the person of Jesus Christ! Everything you and I need to know about God can be known because Jesus came to make him known.                            –Quote from CBS Bible Study Book-

As I go throughout life, am I being merely a reflection of Christ? It’s good to be a reflection of him right? Of coarse! But at some point we need to be more than just a reflection, we need to be 3D image of Christ to someone in need. (no we can never be Christ, that’s not what I’m saying) You can look at my life and know that things are different. We make different choices based on our faith, and we look different to the world. The hope is that we are being a reflection of Christ to those around us. But, a reflection is just a reflection. It’s one dimensional. At some point we need to be more.

Our walk with Christ needs to be 3D to those around us. A reflection is nice to look at and learn from, but a reflection doesn’t get down in the nitty gritty of life with a someone. A reflection doesn’t help you rebuild your house when a storm knocks it down, it doesn’t cry with you, or give you a blanket when you are cold. It doesn’t check on you when you have had surgery, or bring you food after you have a baby.

A reflection is not a bad thing. It is very encouraging to my walk with Christ to see reflections of how other believers live. To see, a reflection of how Christ has blessed them, and set them free from bondage. But, a person doesn’t become a reflection of Christ by simply being here. They become a reflection of Christ by becoming 3D to those around them. Including their families. When we begin to live differently, speak kinder, love deeper, reach out to the community, people will take notice, and you can minister to many people. Christ was a reflection of God, but he was also God in flesh, God in 3D.

I have so many thoughts on this, but I will end this with a challenge to you. Be an example of the Christ that lives in you, by being 3D in someone’s life this week.

                     

 

No comments: