Sunday, August 26, 2012

WTOW- Easy to Love but Hard to Raise (Giveaway)

Invisible disabilities. HMMMMM……… My family has our fair share of them. “Invisible? Huh?” An invisible disability is disability that majorly affects a persons life, yet may not be immediately apparent to an onlooker. You may not know this, but about 80% of all disabilities could fit under this category. For parents this can be so difficult. If I had a penny for all the times I have heard someone say something about my children “looking normal” I would be rich. (yes I said penny) For my family I faced my first challenges with professionals. ie; therapists, Pediatricians, etc. After we jumped over those hurtles, we still have to jump through hurtles of friends, church members, random stranger Laughing out loud. This can make a parent feel lonely. So, we look for other mom’s with kids like ours, web sites, forums, support groups, books etc. When we find them it’s like a breath of fresh air. we realize we are not alone.

Easy to Love but Hard to Raise is like a breath of fresh air. it contains real stories from real parents. Parents in the trenches. this book contains tips, statistics, advice, hope, laughter, tears, and much more. The over all message of the book is to let you know that, YOU ARE NOT ALONE!

I am excited to announce that the wonderful people at Easy to Love Hard to Raise have offered to give one of you lovely readers a copy of this book. You have three days to enter this give away.

To enter the giveaway simply leave a comment telling me how your life is affected by an invisible disability.

*please make sure to include your e-mail address in your comment.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Trying to explain the issues with family or friends and their comment "but she looks normal to me" has got to be one of the most discouraging things ever. It's frustrating to try making people understand what is going on when they can't see it themselves. And when they see a behavior or are with her during a seizure they pretend it a)didn't happen or b)"All kids do that".


KristinaOsgood@gmail.com

ruby706 said...

I have a 16 year daughter w/full FAS and cognitive/ intellectual disability. i've raised her since she was 4 1/2 mos. old, the last 7 years alone as a single parent. I homeschool since first grade, after pre-school and 2 yrs. of kinder.

so, this has been my life for over 15 years! no one has ever gotten it, we've always been somewhat on the outside observing. it is difficult on me because i've raised 3 neurotypical birth-kids, so know what she is missing, although she doesn't really feel the lack. she has never had a friend, although she was in scouts for many years, dance, Boys & Girls Club, roller skating classes, daycamps, etc.

I've never read this book and would like to.

Margaret


ruby706@sbcglobal.net

Laurel said...

We have a 9 year old daughter with FAS, non-typical ADHD and CAS (childhood apraxia of speech--hard to understand what she says). To see her, she is a medium height, very skinny kid who never stops moving.

One of her new 'favorite' things to do is to wear a dog collar and a retractable leash. All the time. And she loves to have me take a walk with her around our neighborhood. While I get to hold the leash. It makes her BEYOND HAPPY. It gives me mixed feelings: I am glad she's so happy but worried about how it looks & affects her in the long run. Life is 'interesting' here!

We also have an 8 1/2 year old son with typical ADHD--but I don't think of him as an ETL kid. He's so much easier than our daughter!

mama2russians at gmail dot com

Rebecca said...

My son has ADHD and can't stand to hear the phrase "he's just all boy!" For one thing, he's my most sensitive kid, so he certainly didn't get the stereotypical make toughness, lol. I wish people would realize that, when I 'm trying to explain his behavior, I'm not making excuses for him, I'm truly just explaining why its so hard for him. :-/

Unknown said...

I have a 9 year old ETL boy dx with ADHD and a 6 year old boy without an official dx. no one in my family or friends understand their behavior. they all have and continue to tell me what they think i should do to "fix" them. it gets old so im learning to have a life with nobody in it. its far easier to let go of people then to try and fit in because if you have to try to fit in then you just dont belong in the first place! i love my kids and would choose them over any friends or family. the reason it is so hard is because at a time when u need support all you get is misinformed uneducated opinions from other people thats why i have turned to internet support cause i cant possibly be the only person with ETL kiddos and here im not alone. i find great ideas and people that struggle with the same things i do. i finally fit in and dont have to make people understand my kids cause they understand through their own experiences. much love for the people behind ETL!!!