Thursday, April 18, 2013

Why I do not allow my child to wear makeup.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

 

No color needed she is beautiful! Perfect in every way. But will she ever know that? I don’t know. I will however, do my best to help her to know that she was created in the image of God.

First let me say NO I do not think wearing make up is a sin! (yes I was asked that)

From the moment she walk in my door she has loved all things girly. Make Up, Dresses, High Heels, Jewelry , Glitter, the works. No big deal right? That’s normal for girls right? YES! but only when they are innocent and not accompanied by these phrases,

“I cannot wait to wear lip stick, then I will be pretty”

“I like her because she is pretty, look at all her jewelry.”

“What age can I where make up mom? I want to be pretty.”

And my list could go on. I remember when she was five. We were in the dollar tree and a lady came in. Hailey was instantly drawn to her. She was the most beautiful person she had ever seen. Eyes wide she stared at the lady as if she had seen a celebrity. Tap, tap, tap,  came the little fingers in my leg. “Momma, that is the prettiest person I have ever seen!!” Now before I continue I will describe this lady, TAN, BIG LIPS, LEPORD PRINT MINI SKIRT, LOT’s! of MAKE UP, BIG CURLY HAIR, HIGH HEELS. At that moment I simply said, “Yes honey she is beautiful.” and we moved on. That day Hailey talked and talked about that lady. So I felt like it was time to have a discussion about it. “Why do you think that lady is so pretty?”, “Because, she had on make up, and jewelry, and high heels!!” Hmmm……. Time for a talk about true beauty.

From that point on it became painfully clear that my daughter had it in her mind that beauty is based on looks. Now she is ten, and we have done our best to teach her that true beauty comes from the Lord,  it’s what’s inside. But we are fighting a culture that bases a woman’s value on looks. 

 

Just the other day she asked me when she would be allowed to wear make up. I promptly asked her why she wanted to wear make up so bad. Her response shocks me every time because I know that we have done our part in attempting to change this mine set, but her answer was the same, “Because, it will make me pretty.” We then of course talked about how beauty comes from within, and that make up should not be used to change your looks, but to enhance your natural looks.

I know that my opinion on this is not a popular one, and so many will not agree. Actually I know many who think it’s crazy. But for now, as long as she is still an innocent child, (and yes I think a ten year old is an innocent child) she will not be encouraged by me to wear make up. I will do my best to help her know that make up does not make you pretty. It’s an up hill battle that I am willing to take on.

So when I am asked why Hailey cannot wear make up, this is the long answer, the short answer is , “Why should she?”

No comments: