Saturday, July 6, 2013

Book Review – Distant Dreams

This book was the first book in the Ribbons of Steel book series by Judith Pella and Tracie Petterson. I got this book as a free download on Kindle books. I could not put it down. The book included a lot of history about trains, politics, and banking.  While it was fictional, with a little fact checking you will find much of the history to be fairly accurate.

The story is mostly about young Caroline Adams. She is 15 years old and has an interest in locomotives, math, science etc. At that time these subjects were unfit for a “proper” women to learn about. However, Caroline’s father like’s to indulge his daughter, this leads him to hire a tutor to teach Caroline. The problem is that Caroline finds herself in love with her tutor who is betrothed to her older sister Virginia.

By the end of the book I found myself in laughter and tears. I was sorely disappointed that the story never truly came to an end. I will be getting the second book. When I was younger and read series of books each book was a stand alone book  and brought at least some closure to the story while leaving you hanging just enough to want to read the next book. I have recently started back reading these type series and have noticed that the books are NOT stand alone books. It is irritating that they just end with no closure at all. There have been a few books that have left me wanting the next book though, and this is one of them.  

No comments: