I can honestly say that Unit one in Heart od Dakota’s Creation to Christ curriculum was a breath of fresh air. Hailey was was excited to learn all week. It wasn’t a bunch of boring books, or a ton of sheet work. There were many times that she came running in saying, “Mom, you have got to hear this, (see this, do this etc.)” She even asked to break out her guide on Sunday.
Bible Study/Quiet Time
I loved that this curriculum not only encouraged Hailey to have a “quiet time” with God, but gave her direction. Her quiet times had a scripture focus, a Prayer Focus, and her scripture memory time.
Reading: Gen. 1-9
Scripture Focus: Gen. 1:26-27, Gen. 4:6-7, Gen. 6:9, Gen. 8:21
Prayer Focus: Prayer of Adoration, Prayer of Confession, Prayer of Thanksgiving, Prayer of Supplication.
Independent History Study/Projects/Reading about History
She has been listening to the What in the World? discs from Answers in Genesis and really liking them. She was particularly interested in the lineage lists, and how old the people were. Like me she realized that because of how long people lived then, people in the stories of genesis are much more closely connected than we think. Like; Noah lived at the time of the Tower of Babel, the Pharaohs, and the building of Babylon. Completed several activities in her History notebook.
For the Reading about History section this week, she read several chapters of The Story of the Ancient World. This is a biblical history book. I read this book in May and REALLY liked it, but I was concerned if it might be to dull for a child. I am happy to report that she loves it as well. Everything she learned in history this week complemented her bible time, and also made history connections to biblical history.
Story Time
For unit 1 we read Ken Hamm’s book Dinosaurs of Eden. Hailey LOVED!!! this book. She did not want to put it down. I enjoyed the book as well.
Science
For the first few units we will be using Apologia’s Land Animals of the Fifth day. I have discovered that Hailey is very interested in animals right now. She has a light in her eyes as she learns new things.
She learned about Animal classifications and watched a great video to help her memorize the categories.
She did a fun project to talk about camouflage and how animals use this for protection. This is supposed to be done using M & M’s, but we couldn’t find the ones we had gotten, so we gummy fish. It still worked using the fish but would have been better using the other. What you do is take three different colors of construction paper (several sheets) and cover the bottom of a laundry basket with the crumpled paper. Then you dump in the four colors of M & M’s. She then had to find and many as she could in 1 min. The goal is that she will find more of the ones that were a different color than the papers.
Geography
Hailey has enjoyed the book A Child’s Geography Vol. II. It has taken her in a journey into Turkey Mesopotamia and a few rivers. The book made several biblical and current connections to those land marks. Hailey worked an mapping skills, and and really enjoyed the activities provided. She also opened a Little passport from South Africa.
Language Arts
We are working with Rod and Staff English, and Write With the Best. We are liking both of these programs, and Hailey likes that the lessons are short and to the point. No photo’s.
Math
Math, what to say about math? Well, we are working on multiplication facts nothing real fun this week, but I am working on some games to help her with this.
Poetry/Art
We love Robert Frost poems. Each unit we are focusing on one of his poems. They are supposed to complete a water color to go along with the poem, but we started school before we had gotten all of our supplies, so we will have to do ours at a later date. I will leave you however with these words.
A Late Walk
When I go up through the mowing field,
The headless aftermath,
Smooth-laid like thatch with the heavy dew,
Half closes the garden path.
And when I come to the garden ground,
The whir of sober birds
Up from the tangle of withered weeds
Is sadder than any words
A tree beside the wall stands bare,
But a leaf that lingered brown,
Disturbed, I doubt not, by my thought,
Comes softly rattling down.
I end not far from my going forth
By picking the faded blue
Of the last remaining aster flower
To carry again to you.
Robert Frost
No comments:
Post a Comment