Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Homeschooling Stereotypes and my Daughter

If you have not had the opportunity to get to know my daughter you are missing out. She is one of the most interesting children I know. My mom used to say that God gave me to her to keep her laughing. I think the same is true for Hailey. She is truly one of a kind. Just today she came running up to me after playing with a friend and said, "That girl is cracking me nuts". I had been having such a frustrating morning because we had been sitting at the Health Department for 2 hours. That made my whole day a little brighter. God sure knows what he is doing.

Everyone knows that there are stereotypes when it comes to homeschoolers. Always wearing skirts, very domestic, sews everything the have and wear, does not cut their hair, stuck in the 1700's etc. I home schooled my whole life and managed to avoid most of these stereotypes. Except for that one summer when I wore nothing but sundresses. And the fact that I loved the book I Kissed Dating Goodbye. Hailey on the other hand I fear will fit right in with these stereotypes. She would think I hung the moon if I made her wear a dress or skirt everyday and if we sewed it ourselves I would receive much praise. I'll never forget the day that mom and I had found Hailey the cutest outfit in the world. I could not wait for her to wear it out. When that day finally came you would have thought I had beat the child. She complained about that outfit all day long. At one point she was in tears telling me that it was so ugly and that she looked like a boy. I changed her into a dress because that's what girls are supposed to put on according to Hailey. She's only 6, but she could run circles around me in the domestic realm of things. She's also a genius. Most homeschoolers are. HAHAHAHA! But she really is to smart for her own good. And just like most homeschoolers she knows that she is smart. What am I to do with such a child? How can I keep her from the Home school stereotypes? HELP!

One last thing.. She told me today that I would feel better if I wore a dress every once in a while. Man, I love that kid.

1 comment:

Katie said...

She is amazing. I love that girl.