Sunday, January 17, 2010

Changes

We start school tomorrow after a much needed break. I was surprised that both of my children were begging to start back. They know that this semester will be different than the last and they are syked. I figured I would post what changes we are making. I am looking forward to getting this off with a fresh start. I will try to stick to a schedule as much as possible but will remain flexible due to Dr. Appointments. I am also going to try to be more considerate of Hailey's special needs and not push her so hard. She's already ahead in all subjects so I will be able to learn to relax without worrying about her getting behind. We will also begin preschool with Christopher. My problem with him is that he wants to do work boxes ALL day. LOL!

Curriculum Choices: 1st/2nd Grade
Reading: Hooked on Phonics Master Reader Program. (No I did not pay that hefty price)
Readers from the Library
at least 2 chapter Books. (She will choose)
Abbeka Handbook for Reading

Math: We will continue to use BJU First grade math but will add other math activities like, File Folder Game, Flash Cards, Hooked on Phonics Math ,and other manipulative's and games

Unit Studies: I have decided to add Unit studies. Hailey has ADHD and best fits the learning style of Unschooling. I just can't wrap my brain around it. I thought adding unit studies would be a good compromise for both her and I. When I asked Hailey what she would like to learn about she said The Solar System,because she had a poster of it on her wall. this will be our first US.

Writing: We will no longer be using a set handwriting curriculum. I am going to focus on copy writing, writing prompts, Short stories, and she will be getting a pen pal. I will pull these resources together using books I already have and using the Internet.

Phonics/English: We will continue to use BJU for this. We like it and it seems to work for now. I will be adding File Folder Games.

Music: We will continue with Home school choir, Morning Worship and voice warm ups. I will also begin to introduce different types of music for her general knowledge. (Jazz, blues, Country, Bluegrass...)

History: We will incorporate History into our Unit studies and we will go through BJU Heritage studies. (I admit that I have done a horrible job at teaching History)

Science: We will incorporate this into our unit studies. I will not use a set curriculum for this just yet. We have been doing various things I have pulled from the Internet or found in Our First grade Abbeka Science book.

P.E.: We will continue to go to Home school P.E. it's a great opportunity for Hailey to meet other homeschoolers her age.

Bible: We will begin learning a scripture a week. I have not decided how I will choose the scriptures. This week I chose based on our Unit Study. We will be doing a morning bible story, again no real rhyme or reason for what I choose. Lol!

Art: There will be a lot of art with her Unit Studies. I never worry much about art because Hailey is the craft Queen.

Preschool Curriculum Choices

Handwriting Without Tears
File Folder Games
Kumon Books
Preschool Story Time

Those are the only set things I have. I will be doing Lot's of crafts and Montessori type activities there are way to many to list but, I will be doing a preschool corner post.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope your start is better than mine was today. They had a bad attitude and I lost it a couple of times. - bad mummy!
Glad that tomorrow is a new day. I might post my curriculum up one day like you have done. :)

Laura said...

Have a great week! Can't wait to see your preschool corner. I need to get more homeschooling posts going.