Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Hailey, ADHD, and Accommodations

Teaching an ADHD child has been a challenge for me. Partly because, I myself am a bit scattered at times. But mostly because I am trying to adapt to her learning style, which goes completely against the grain of traditional learning. In my attempt to keep pushing her to learn the traditional way we have come to a stand still. She completely shut down. It was as if she had learned nothing this whole year. Because of the complete frustration this is causing to both Hailey and myself, I am taking a step back to see where things can change.


One of the benefits of Homeschooling is that we have the freedom to do what works. I can adjust and make accommodations as needed without having to have a 504 plan or an IEP. The hard part is the extra time and mental energy it takes to make these accommodations

.
That leads me to my next issue, What accommodations need to be made? I am trying to figure out what accommodations I can make that will benefit us both. Hailey is very smart and is doing work above her grade level. That gives me an advantage in trying out new things because I don't have to worry about her falling behind. Now we just have to try new things and see what works.


We were given the opportunity to review a curriculum that Hailey really likes. We are going to keep using it until the end of the week, then we will evaluate how we liked it and if that is the direction we want to go.


For those of you who either homeschool or have a 504, or IEP what accommodations have been made?

Revision 1/2/2012

We were able to make accommodations that worked wonders with Hailey.  We are still Homeschooling and loving it.

No comments: