When we entered this world of homeschooling our reasoning was different than a lot. We began because of problems that had come up during our time at public school. I like to think that Homeschooling was bread in me, seeing as how I was home schooled first-twelve grade. So some of the different family principles of homeschooling were always there, but that is not what drove our decision.
This tear was our first year and homeschooling has become a lot more than a way to accommodate Hailey's needs. (another post, another time) We joined the local Home school group, and I began to realize quickly that what style of teaching you use is important to others. We have used several different things this year just trying to find our way, but as I began to hear people talk of their goals for homeschooling and teaching styles I realized that I had no clue what most of them were talking about.
My husband and I decided that this year we are going to set goals and really get to the heart of what homeschooling means for our family. That said, I thought it was important for me to research and fully understand the different teaching methods and why they would or would not work for my family.
One of the styles I hear a lot about is Charlotte Mason style. I came across this great article that helped me to understand the principles of her style of teaching. If you are just starting out or just want to learn more about the different styles of teaching, I will be posting some of the research I come across. Here is the article I enjoyed about Charlotte Mason.
Charlotte Mason
3 comments:
Thank you for sharing this article! I find myself in the same boat with Isaiah, kind of getting started but not knowing what a lot of people are talking about. I look forward to your future posts about this.
Not knowing what the needs are for your children specifically, I don't want to assume anything, but I have found some helpful sites for homeschooling children with special needs. Some of them would be very helpful, I think, for someone in the States. Let me know if you would like any other info.
I was homeschooled for a bit when I was younger but spent the majority of my school years in public school. I really dislike public school. We chose to homeschool for many reasons but the most important being that we want full control over what our children are being taught and exposed to.
I don't know much about the different styles that other's use. I just do what I feel I need to do and I haven't found any style that I think fits what we need. Maybe in the next few years we'll settle. I've heard good things about Charlotte Mason though. Good luck! Homeschooling can be a lot of work but it's definitely worth it!
Thank you for sharing this article. I've been homeschooling my children from the beginning and I was homeschooled for all but my 2nd grade year. We enjoy it and love learning together.
Post a Comment