Sunday, March 7, 2010

Learning His Name




This past week we put our Letter of the week aside for a bit because I realized that Christopher was having a hard time recognizing his name. He can't spell it either. This is a skill that he really needs to develop. I think it is hard for him because his name is so long. So all last week we focused on name recognition. I only got a few pics. But I will try to add links to where I got the ideas from.

1. Christopher loves to cheer so we started out each morning with a bit of name chanting.
Give me a C... C!
Give me an h... h!
Give me a r... r!
Give me an i... i!
Give me a s... s!
Give me an t... t!
Give me an o... o!
Give me an p... p!
Give me an h... h!
Give me an e... e!
Give me an r... r!

What does that spell? Christopher!

2. I wrote C's name on a few sticky notes, and wrote other names on some other sticky notes. I then stuck them on different walls in the house and had him find the one with his name on them.

3. We did this activity Daily. (Click for a detailed post)


4. We used our magnetic letters to "Build" his name. (He loved word world)

5. I wrote his name on his drinking cup, and Hailey's name on hers. I made sure they were the same color. Each day at lunch, dinner, and snack time he would have to find which cup was his. then we would spell his name together.

6. I made C, A version of the Bottle Cap Name activity. For C's I used squares so that we could use scrabble pieces.

That about sums it up. I'm sure I missed some things. (one reason why I like to take pictures.) I hope you were able to find some ideas. This next week we will be on vacation visiting lots of museums. Then we will be back to Letter of The Week starting with "S". We all know that S is for Super Why. (or at least that's what Christopher says.)

No comments: