Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Vent!

I went to the gas station today and for the first time in a long time I went in. When I got to the check out counter the cashier asked me if I wanted to donate to the medical fund of this little girl. There was a cup set up and it said that she had Food allergies and Autism. I was paying with a card so I said no. The cashier them began to give me a speech about how selfish I was and how would I feel if it were one of my precious little ones in that situation. I would want people to donate, wouldn't I? I stood sighlent for a moment, trying to keep from going off, (I was thinking this must have been her child) Then she goes on trying to pull on my heart strings because I am a mother. After she rambled on a few minutes, I spoke up and proceeded to tell her about the vast medical and mental health needs that my children in fact DO have, and how she shouldn't just assume that the person who says no was being selfish because she has no idea what is going on in this persons life. I then asked her if this was in fact her child. It was her niece. I told her that I fully understand what this child's family is going through and gave her my number if she needed someone to talk to.

This is not the first time that I have been approached this way about donating to a cause. We need money too,(who doesn't?) Hailey has enough medical needs to start a foundation of her own, I fully respect and understand the need for these types of funds, but I don't understand people acting like they are the only ones in the world in need. UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4 comments:

The Activity Mom said...

Wow! I can't believe she kept going on and on. Talk about pressure. Good for you for standing up for yourself and for what you believe in. Nice touch giving your number. =)

Rana said...

Yeah I'm surprised she did that. People can't assume and they shouldn't pressure you, you were right in what you did.

Penny Williams said...

you go girl! I love how you ended it with a friendly I understand and you can talk to me. Just the way it should be done.

Penny
http://adhdmomma.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

oh gosh...wow. Yeah we have enough medical issues with Shiloh too, it's awful for someone to give you a hard time about not donating, it's supposed to be a free GIFT, not something people are required to do. good for you for standing up for yourself AND for nicely encouraging them afterwards as well.