Sunday, June 13, 2010

Recovery success?

30161_1492591481911_1447761124_31251905_4319222_n

We got Hailey home from the surgery and it seemed like things were going great. Hailey was doing great getting up and walking around. Her appetite was back, and she was even going to activities like, library craft time. She went and stayed with her Nana and while she was there she was able to cut back on her pain meds. We were so pleased. I had expected her to have a lot of pain for a while. Her incisions were looking great.

Friday night June 11th Hailey’s fever spiked. We decided that we would watch her and see how things went. All day she was nauseous, dizzy, and did not want to do anything but sleep. At one point her fever spiked to 102. That’s when we called her NS. They told us we could give her Motrin and see how she was on Sunday. Sunday came, and with her fever down (due to meds.) she was acting like she felt much better. So we did not worry about it much. Early Monday morning  Hailey woke with a huge headache and a fever of 101. I also noticed that the back of her hair was wet. We made the decision to take her to our local Children’s Hospital ER. I was afraid that her incisions were leaking.

I was surprised at how fast they got her in. They did Labs, a Chest x-ray, A CT, and a Spinal tap. They looked at her incisions, but found no leak. After her Labs, Ct, and X-Ray all looked clear, we were hopeful that all was well, and that I was just being a paranoid mom. We were all sad when they found that her white blood count, and protein levels were high. They also found that the Blood sugar in her Spinal Fluid was low. All of that suggested infection. Seeing as how she had just had surgery, they suspected Meningitis. She was admitted to the Hospital that night.

Hailey cried, and cried, and so did I.

No comments: