When I went to the Doctor a few weeks ago, I was asked to stay after they did Blood work so that I could talk with the Social Worker on duty. I really thought nothing of it because we are on Medicaid until the end of this month. (long and depressing story), I was pleased that I did not have to wait long to see her because more often than not you will sit there a long time waiting. We got into her office, and she went over the basic financial stuff, then she closed her notebook. She got a really serious look on her face and said, “How are you?” I said I was fine. She then proceeded to ask me about how things were going with the kids, and if I was receiving the help I needed to get them the services they need. She then said some shocking words, “The real reason I called you back here, is because, with everything you have going on, (she listed them) you are a red flag for Post Partum Depression”.
Process that for a moment. Post Partum Depression is very real, and effects a large amount of women. But I never thought that there were precursors that would make you more susceptible to having it, and I can’t imagine pointing all of those things out to someone. I have to admit that a did begin to cry after hearing all of the things listed. After that she did offer to get me set up with a therapist. I was thankful for the offer, but even more thankful that I have the Most High king, and a great family to help me make these things not overwhelm me.
Why did I write this post? Because, ever since that day, the subject has been heavy on my mind. I am so thankful for the support that I have, but I realize that not everybody has that support. If you are one of the women who suffer from PPD please take it seriously. Don’t be afraid to seek help. Take the time before your baby is born to set up a support system. And know that there is a social worker at your hospital, or doctors office who is willing to help you find what you need. If you think someone you know is suffering from PPD or just plain Depression, seek them out, and care enough to be their support. You could be the one thing that makes it easier.
Here are some helpful resources:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/postpartum-depression/DS00546
1 comment:
I had PPD after my second child. It is so hard to admit that I could't handle it all. After I finally admitted it to my husband~then my doc it became easier. I think mommies have to remember it's not THEM, it's a condition that is normal and treatable. I'm still on anti-depressants, and she'll be one on Monday. However, a friend of mine had a baby 6 months after I did (her second too) and I was able to provide a lot more support because I knew how hard it could be.
Post a Comment