Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Children in glasses Part 1

198137_1942066390226_1199430906_2358525_1076232_n 65130_1658645824889_1199430906_1817100_3555810_n 224868_2036095860904_1199430906_2476456_6404979_n

Glasses, hmmm what can I say, they are glasses. I went through a stage in life where I wanted glasses, so my mom took me to the eye Dr. only to find out that I had a muscle disorder and needed them. I can count on one hand the times I actually wore them. Now as an adult I am just now starting to wear them daily. Part necessity, and partly because I want to set a good example for my kids. On to what this post is really about.

I talk to so many parents who have not had their children’s vision checked. And that many more who like me, has had their eyes checked and found out not only were glasses necessary, but VITAL! So as hard as it is to get them to wear the glasses I am glad I had their eyes checked. 

I know there are a lot of skeptics out there who really don’t see it as important. So I wanted to share a few reasons I think it is important.

  • 25% of school aged children have vision problems
  • Because young eyes are often more responsive to treatment
  • because children need the following basic skills related to good eyesight for learning:
    • Near vision
    • Distance vision
    • Binocular (two eyes) coordination
    • Eye movement skills
    • Focusing skills
    • Peripheral awareness
  • Because untreated vision problems can lead to more serious vision problems, and vision loss. I our case, untreated Strabismus cause Amblyopia.
  • Because vision problems are often mi-diagnosed as other learning disabilities. ADHD, Dyslexia, Written Expression etc.

Those are just a few of the reasons you should have your child’s vision checked. I will talk more about this in Part 2, and I will also talk about Patching. 

No comments: