Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Why we Homeschool

We homeschool, because we believe it is what God has instructed us to do. There are many things that led us to that decision, and through prayerful consideration, and many hours on our faces before the Lord we feel confident that this is what we are supposed to do. While homeschooling is what’s best for our family, it may not be what’s best for yours. I do strongly advocate homeschooling, but if that is not what God has planned for your family, you shouldn’t do it.  

When we first started homeschooling, we began putting together a list of reason why we homeschool. This list has grown and changed throughout the years, and will continue to grow and change in years to come. But, our ending goals will remain the same.

We want to educate and provide for our children, Body, Soul, Mind, and Spirit. We believe that is best achieved for us at home. We want them to experience education through all aspects of life, and not solely through a textbook. We want them to have the opportunity to explore nature, go on field trips, do service projects, Science experiments, Play, and the many, many other educational avenues homeschooling opens up for my family.

Having children with “Special Needs” is another one of the many reasons this is the right choice for us. Certainly there are many challenges we face on a daily bases, however the challenges they face at home are far less than the challenges they we face in public school. At home I can provide all, and any accommodation needed. At home if something is not working, I can change it without having a “team meeting”, and waiting 3 months to see the change happen. AT home I can teach social skills. At home I can provide many OT opportunities, at home if we have a meltdown we can deal with it, and I don’t have to go to the principles office. At home I have the freedom to take them to the doctor and I don’t have to worry about getting and excuse, or them meeting their excuse limit, and no longer being excused. I home I can love them all day long,  and give them one on one attention as needed.

And last, but not least, we believe it is our responsibility to  protect their hearts. That is best done for us at home.

I recently read an education philosophy that was so elegantly written, and wholly fits with our beliefs. If you care to take a look click the like below,

 http://www.allofakindfamily.com/?page_id=1266

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The link tells me I do not have permission to read the blog. I am showing this to Mark tonight, I want him to see my reasons which are very similar to yours. Prayers continue but I do feel I am being led by God more towards home schooling.