Monday, October 31, 2011

Book Review- The Blessing

I typically love every book written by Gary Smally. So it should be no surprise that I chose to review this book. I also love Parenting books (yep I’m one of those). I thought for sure I would love this book.

The book is broken down into the following parts:

  1. Why Is The Blessing So Important?
  2. Understanding The Blessing
  3. When The Blessing Doesn’t Happen
  4. Living The Blessing Challenge

There is a lot of good information written throughout the entire book. But I had a really hard time reading it. At the beginning of the book the authors wrote about what the biblical blessing was, and while they were writing they talked briefly about Attachment Disorders. I was taken back when they stated that an Attachment Disorder could be cured simply by receiving “The Blessing” from their parents. Having 2 adopted children with attachment issues, I know that it takes more that a few simple words etc. to help a child heal from attachment issues. Every child is different and has a different level of things to overcome in regards to attachment. Now, I am the first to agree that GOD in all his power is able to heal ALL people, with just one word. But I just had a hard time getting past the way attachment disorders were portrayed in this book.

That being said, The Blessing is a good book with good intentions, it just fell short, and hit a nerve.

<a href="

No comments: