Thursday, November 10, 2011

Special Needs Homeschooling- Housework

P1017886Shortly after writing yesterday’s post, I went to the restroom and came out to find this. I thought that would be a great way to answer the question, “How do you do it all?” I DON’T!!!!!!!

At any given moment there are 3-4 loads of laundry to be done despite doing multiple loads a day.  I probably do 4 loads of dishes a day, and that does not always get done in a timely manner. Every time I get the boys room cleaned they go and do something like, dump muffin mix all over the floor. HAHA. Laundry is rarely put away, because I loath doing it. We do have chores as a part of our routine, and I don’t keep a nasty house, but it is simply not possible for me to keep up, and to keep my kids at home, and happy. There are certain aspects of our routine that are more important to our sanity than working myself to the bone keeping a spotless house.

So what does that have to do with Homeschooling Special Needs children? Well, we get school done at the cost of delayed housework, so I don’t do it all, I choose what is most important at that moment. If we are doing school work and having fun, then all of a sudden we are having a meltdown because I am also trying to do laundry, and dishes, and the sound of the dishwasher is to much, the dishwasher will be turned off, and we will probably end up with a full sink because of the delay.

We currently live in a small apartment, (moving soon) so school happens out in the open at our teeny tiny dining room table.

P1016979Both of my older children have sensory processing issues. The dining room/classroom is pushed up against the kitchen, making it impossible to not hear the dishwasher, Washing Machine, and dryer going. And so brings forth challenge of “doing it all”. And so I don’t!

You may be sitting there thinking, “But I thought children with Autism, ADHD, and the like, thrived in an orderly environment,?” They do!

Insert confession here> There are days when we “take a break” and get the house back in working order. It’s not the ideal scenario, and I am constantly attempting to improve my time management so that I can get it done, but I will say, pausing a load  of dishes and letting the sink pile up so that I can create educational success for my children, is worth it. 

I’m not giving you a license to live in filth. Remember, your children (any children) thrive in an orderly environment. But let’s face the facts. Many children with special needs have sensory issues, so the next time school is going well, and then all of a sudden it’s not, take a look at  your surroundings. What is going on? Is the dishwasher running? What about the washing machine? TV? Go ahead and let yourself and your child off the hook, and turn it all off. Who known's, you might just be able to accomplish several days worth of school work in one sitting. That could come in handy for those days where formal schooling is just not happening.

So in short, we struggle with sensory issues. I make accommodations at the expense of other things not getting done. Relax, peace is more important than an empty sink!

Isaiah 54:10

Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, yet my unfailing love for you will not be shaken nor my covenant of peace be removed," says the LORD, who has compassion on you.

 

Sensory Possessing is a real struggle for our family and for many other families. Here are some links to a few great articles highlighting the struggle with SPD. If you are not familiar with SPD, you may find the information interesting.

I hope you somehow found encouragement in my post. I am certainly not a wordsmith, but if you stay tuned I will do my best to be open and honest about things that are hard for most to talk about.

1 comment:

Desiree said...

I don't have any children with special needs, but I'd say this holds true for me too. It took me a while to realize this, that I can't do it all. I have to put our school first, and not worry about the house until we are done (even if there's a load of dishes and piles of laundry). Like you said it's well worth it though.