There are no words in the English dictionary that I could use to convince my two year old, that this breadstick was anything other than a snake. He was so proud of this “snake”. He carried it around and refused to eat it. Eventually I did pry it from his hands, and discarded it. But he still holds to the fact that he found a “snake” in his food.
In person the breadstick looked like nothing more than a piece of food, but in the picture you can see that it does kind of look like a reptile. I don’t know that I would have thought about it being a snake, but it certainly does not look normal. It’s all about perspective.
This how it is so many times with life. We may see what’s in front of us, and insist that it is a certain way, but, if we back up and look at the situation from a different lens, it may look different.
As mothers, it’s easy to get discouraged. sometimes all we see is, dirty diapers, dishes, laundry, back talk, fit’s, and spit up. That’s the perspective we have when we get overwhelmed. WE ALL GET OVERWHELMED! When we get overwhelmed, and remember, you will, it is important that we learn how to find that different lens to look through.
In my time as a mother, I have had my share of overwhelming moments. During those times I have found that it’s not always easy to find a different lens. Here are a few steps, and resources to help you along your way to finding a new perspective
1. PRAY!
Ask the Lord to help you find a new perspective.
"O God, you are my God, earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you, my body longs for you, in a dry and weary land where there is no water. I have seen you in the sanctuary and beheld your power and your glory. Because your love is better than life, my lips will glorify you. I will praise you as long as I live, and in your name I will lift up my hands. My soul will be satisfied as with the richest of foods; with singing lips my mouth will praise you."
Psalm 63:1-5
2. Read your Bible
The scripture is packed with encouraging scripture. I have found that reading the bible often helps me see things in a different way, it also helps me be more open to the voice of the Lord.
3. Read other books for encouragement. I have read a few great books lately, that have really helped me get out of a few motherhood pits.
4. Reach Out
Every mom has been overwhelmed, and I bet they can help. Seek out friend that can encourage you, and help you. Be honest. Friends can be one of your greatest assets in making it through these hard times.
5. Change things up and do something fun!
The dishes can wait, the laundry can wait, and the house can remain dirty. (they aren’t going anywhere) But, your kids are only kids once. If you don’t enjoy them now, you will miss your opportunity. It’s easy to get so overwhelmed that fun ceases to exist. You kids may be having fun, but you aren’t. Go to the park and play. YOU PLAY! Do something so crazy and fun that you can’t help but smile. Once you have had some fun, they other stuff is easier to handle.
6. Remember, you are NOT ALONE!!!



No comments:
Post a Comment