Wednesday, September 19, 2012

FIAR- How to Make an Apple Pie and see the World

This is a really cute book. The story of a girl who goes around the world to find the ingredients she needs to make her apple pie. Cute, quirky, and chalk full of learning opportunities. We enjoyed rowing this book. Most of this row was focused on Christopher. The other three went to the Grandparent’s for the weekend, and I spent one on one time with him rowing this book most of the weekend. I enjoyed our time together, and I know he loved the attention.

Math: Odd and Even numbers, Measuring liquid, Addition and Subtraction number bonds

“Give one to the chicken, one to the cow, and eat one yourself” –How to Make an Apple Pie and see the World

I printed off this Odd and Even apple tree file folder game and introduced the concept. he seemed to grasp the concept as long as we used a number line. This will be a work in progress. I also found an apple addition print out that I thought would be neat to use as we are working on number bonds. He really enjoyed the visual. (we used the same chart for subtraction) Following the directions for making an requires you to measure out liquids and so I thought this would be a fun time to pull out our Gallon man. The kids loved this and built him many times.

P1019680P1019683P1019673P1019671IMG_1466

I got the printables from http://thefirstgradeparade.blogspot.com/2010/09/apples-apples-everywhere.html

Science: Evaporating Salt

“On your way there, you can pick up some salt. Fill a jar with salty seawater.”

We did an experiment from the manual where we boiled salt into water, and then pored a thin layer of that water on a tray. After a few days the water evaporated leaving chunks of salt. This was a really neat experiment.

Geography: Located Sri Lanka, France, Italy, England, Jamaica, and Vermont on the map, Learned about Vermont

We used legos to mark all of the places we traveled to in this book. The kids also enjoyed coloring their Vermont pages in their Color the Sates book, and learning about Vermont.

IMG_1499

Social Studies/Bible: Following Directions, Reading Instructions, The Ten Commandments, Modes of Transpotation

In this book the girl uses many means of transportation to get the ingredients for her apple pie. She knows what ingredients that she needs because she has a recipe to follow. We talked about the importance of following directions, and then read some directions that the Lord gave us. The Ten Commandments. Then we built a motorcycle and car, and focused on the fact that we knew how to build them because we were following the directions. It was neat how I was able to tie all of these things together.

IMG_1490IMG_1496P1019744

Language Arts: Humor in Writing

We talked about different ways to use humor in writing. Comics, a funny story, silly jokes etc. We read some comic strips and read some jokes from a joke book that we had. We talked about how in this story much of the humor was found in the illustrations. Both Hailey and Christopher wrote a story using humor.

Making Memories: Apple Pie

Making an apple pie is one of the best things about this book. There’s even a recipe at the end of the book. I have never baked from scratch, much less baked Gluten Free, so this was a first for both me and Christopher. I found a good crust recipe at http://www.wholegrainscouncil.org/node/6739/print and we use the recipe from the book for the filling. Our crust crumbled all to pieces, but it taste really good anyways.

P1019759

For more How to Make an Apple Pie fun visit the FIAR link up at Delightful Learning.

1 comment:

Desiree said...

Yay, we are rowing this too! We are almost done. It is such a fun book. I'm looking forward to baking the apple pie on Friday.