I do not have many photo’s for this Unit, but I wanted to give an overview of what we learned anyway.
Reading About History / History Activity
For this unit our readings came from Stories of the Pilgrims. Christopher seemed to enjoy this book more that the previous one, which is funny because I prefer the fist book American Pioneer’s and Patriots. Here are some key points from our stories.
- The Brewster family ran an inn in England. The king’s messenger’s came to let William know that Queen Anne was coming to stay at the inn on her way to her new home.
- Patience talked to the Queen in the garden. She told Queen Anne about the secret church meetings that were held at the inn, and queen Anne told her not to tell that secret.
- King James ordered the people of Scrooby to go to his church. He did not want them to worship on there own. He sent a soldier to find out where the secret church meetings were.
- King James caught the people worshiping in a barn and put the men in jail. The people wanted to be free to worship God according to the bible so they secretly planned to leave England and move to Holland in autumn.
- The pilgrims at that time wanted to so what was right in God’s eyes. They were more worried about God than King James.
Christopher played a game with his siblings called King James. They stood in the middle of the room. The front wall represented King James’ court. The back wall represented prison. Each roll of the dice represented something that would either take them closer to prison, or closer to King James’ court.
The point was to show that King James persecuted anyone who did not believe as he did.
Artistic Expression
This is a wall with rose vines growing on it.
Bible Study
Memory Verse for this unit was 1 John 4:15-16 “If anyone acknowledges that Jesus is the Son of God, God lives in them and they in God. 16 And so we know and rely on the love God has for us. God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in them.”
A few things we discussed about the memory verse; (I record his answers because I like to remember what he says, but rest assured I do explain things to him)
- If you believe in Jesus HOW does he live in you? His answer – He lives in me by my heart
- How can we live the way God wants us to live? His Answer – By obeying him
- Can we be good enough to earn God’s love? His Answer – No
- Why does God love us even though we sin? his Answer – Because he’s always in our hearts and because he just loves us very much. He created us and loves us.
- What are some ways you can show love to others? His answer – Thank them, forgive them, protect them
- What are some ways you can show God that you love him? His Answer - praying to him, thanking him,
- Who did God send to earth as an example of his love? His Answer – Adam and eve were the first two people to live on earth. (ha)
- How can you be more like Jesus? Hos Answer – reading my bible, feeding hungry people,
Science
We learned about how bees pollinate.
Poetry
Up-Hill
Up-Hill
By Christina Rossetti 1830–1894 Christina Rossetti
Does the road wind up-hill all the way?
Yes, to the very end.
Will the day’s journey take the whole long day?
From morn to night, my friend.
But is there for the night a resting-place?
A roof for when the slow dark hours begin.
May not the darkness hide it from my face?
You cannot miss that inn.
Shall I meet other wayfarers at night?
Those who have gone before.
Then must I knock, or call when just in sight?
They will not keep you standing at that door.
Shall I find comfort, travel-sore and weak?
Of labour you shall find the sum.
Will there be beds for me and all who seek?
Yea, beds for all who come.
I read this poem to Christopher without telling him the title and then had him think of titles for the poem. So without making you wait any further here they are.
- The winding road
- The dark winding road
- The Hotel
Reading/ Story Time
I have not been following the story time schedule and instruction in the HOD manual. I regularly read aloud to the kids. We do what is called 20 minute read. I read to them for 20 or more minutes a day. We are currently reading The Wright Brothers.
I am still thrilled with the Bible reader that Christopher is working through. I love to hear him read the stories in the Bible.
Math
This week we really worked on Addition Facts for memorization. New concepts this week was Adding money, adding a string of numbers like 2+4+9+6 =
Language Arts
We worked on spelling words he basically knew the ones for this unit, so we worked on using the words in sentences, and I taught him about looking the words up in ghe dictionary on his iPod. It has a function where it will read him the definitions if he can’t.
Geography
This lesson was a HUGE flop. Sort of. We talked about how people used to think that the world was flat. I took out a map, and showed what would have happed to Magellan’s crew if the world was flat and they kept on sailing. And we talked about several other things pertaining to the world being round instead of flat. Even looking at the horizon etc. At the end I asked him how we know that the world is round and not flat and he says, “Because you can see it from space, duh! That’s a silly question!” So there you have it. He is HALARIOUS!


No comments:
Post a Comment