Monday, August 26, 2013

Beyond Little Hearts for his Glory Unit 2

 

I want to first say that we are loving this curriculum. I am so thankful that the Lord led us to Heart of Dakota.

 

History/Reading about History:

Our history readings this week came from American  Pioneers and patriots. This is not Christopher’s favorite time, but he listens and answers the questions. A few key points from our reading were;

  • Men settled in Jamestown to find gold.
  • Sally could knit, mend, and babysit. She was a good helper to her mother.
  • Sally prayed for God to help her.
  • The pioneers could have given up and gone home but they persevered.

 

For the history project this week we talked about timelines. I drew a time line on a marker board and he learned how timelines worked. We talked about Jamestown being settled in 1607, and we added that to our history timeline.

IMG_3477 

Bible Study:

This weeks Memory Verse was Galatians 6:9  Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.”

He worked on this verse in several ways, repeating three times, Saying it while doing push ups, playing scripture verse freeze, and through song.

Here are a few things we discussed;

  • What does it mean to grow weary or to give up when you are doing good things? his answer – “well, I give up sometimes and sometimes you make me do it anyways.  What if I had a race and gave up? then they would win”.
  • If you don’t give up you will reap a harvest.
  • Will things always go well when you are trying to do good? his answer - “No, but sometimes it will”
  • How can this Bible verse comfort you? his answer- “It won’t, but if we read it we might learn a lot of stuff about God or something.”
  • What are some jobs that you do at home? his answer – “Cleaning my room, watch Liam, clean the living room”
  • How well do you do those jobs when no one is looking? his answer- “Like super well…… Well, actually I don’t usually do them if no one is looking”.
  • How can you be a better worker? his answer- “By, obeying God, obeying your parents, following Jesus, Cleaning when I’m told to.”

Science Exploration:

DSC_0065

For this activity we talked about how the pilgrims did not know what type of animals they would  find where they were going. I had him name animals from different parts of the world. We read about different animals in different climates in God’s Wonderful World. Then we played a game using beanie baby’s. I named a place like “The Rainforest” and he would try to name an animal from there. Then I would pull that animal out of my bag. After we named several animals he and his brother played with them and put on a little play which consisted of the alligator eating all of the other animals until the hippo stomped on him. (I know violent right? LOL)

We also learned about flying squirrels. We watched a video, and then read a section of god’s Wonderful Works about flying squirrels. I had him stand on a stool and drop a crumpled sheet of paper, and a flat sheet of paper to demonstrate the way the squirrels glide.

 

Poetry & Rhymes:

We Thank Thee
By: Ralph Waldo Emerson


For flowers that bloom about our feet,
Father, we thank Thee.
For tender grass so fresh, so sweet,
Father, we thank Thee.
For the song of bird and hum of bee,
For all things fair we hear or see,
Father in heaven, we thank Thee.
For blue of stream and blue of sky,
Father, we thank Thee.
For pleasant shade of branches high,
Father, we thank Thee.
For fragrant air and cooling breeze,
For beauty of the blooming trees,
Father in heaven, we thank Thee.
For this new morning with its light,
Father, we thank Thee.
For rest and shelter of the night,
Father, we thank Thee
For health and food, for love and friends,
For everything Thy goodness sends,
Father in heaven, we thank Thee.

Christopher made a list of things he is thankful for.

  • Parents
  • Food
  • Grandparents
  • Food
  • Toys
  • Food
  • God
  • Food
  • Oh yeah FOOD!

Geography:

DSC_0179

I will explain this drawing in grave detail, but I feel it is important to note the intricate way Christopher’s brain works. It far exceeds my feeble mind. I only wish you could all hear him explain this, but he will not explain it on video.

I think one thing is clear. This lesson was about maps. Winking smile  Ok, here were the instructions.

  1. Read the first six paragraphs from our history book (won’t give everything away lol)
  2. At the bottom of your paper draw a brown rectangular wall
  3. I the middle of your paper draw green rows of corn
  4. At the top of your paper draw a forest of trees
  5. Make a gate in the wall leading to the cornfield
  6. Draw footprints on your map to show where Richard went
  7. Draw red strawberries to show where Sally found Richard

And now you understand to map.

Artistic Expression:

This was going to be a really cool craft where we made bundles of grain etc. However, after explaining this to Christopher he decided that he was not going to do that, he wanted to color instead. this was not a battle I was going to fight.

Math:

We are continuing with Abeka math. This week we really focused on math facts and measuring. We introduced three digit addition.

Language Arts:

We used many different activities to practice his spelling words. His favorite was using the white board on his ipod. We also did a lesson in First Language lessons Level 1 about common and proper nouns.

 IMG_3501

Reading:

Christopher is still reading through his Bible book. I am so pleased with how well he is doing. Several times this week he asked if he could read the Bible study for that night. He is really starting to develop a love for reading.

DSC_0324 copy

 

That pretty much concludes our week. We had a blast!

1 comment:

Kristina said...

Awesome week! We are currently in week 2, so we'll be sharing soon ; ). Great idea to use Beanie Babies for the science activity! And your son did a great job on his map! Thanks for sharing in the group on FB!