Saturday, July 19, 2014

HOD Little Hands to Heaven Week In Review – Unit 1

 

This year I am using Heart of Dakota’s Little hands to heaven for Liam and Sammy. Sammy is in Kindergarten this year so I will be adding a few things for him to ramp it up a little. I tried to use this curriculum last year, but neither of them seemed ready, so I have picked it up again this year. We had a really great week.

We love the masking tape A. For this activity the boys were to take animals and have them walk the lines of the A. Sammy said, “No”, but Liam did it and he also used these Jenga pieces to outline the A.  He also got the tape and made an A on his own.

DSC_0123

The counting activities are counting 1-10. Both boys can already do that and they recognize those numbers, so I pulled out our Team Umi Zoomi Math Cards and Sammy chose a card. The Card had us counting objects found in the house. After doing that I decided to take out the counting bears and do some basic addition and subtraction. Both boys did great, and they really enjoyed free play with the bears.

DSC_0092

DSC_0090

Both boys enjoyed the Hid and Seek ‘A’ activity.

DSC_0103 DSC_0105

This was build an ‘A’ activity we did.

DSC_0084

DSC_0082

Our bible stories this week went quickly through creation and focused on Adam and Eve. The boys took well to The New Bible in Pictures For Little Eyes. I felt like this little book was great for Liam age 3, but a little young for Sammy age 5. That said Sammy seemed to like the stories and participated in discussion. I may read to him the same stories from our family bible just to add a little content. I had them watch this video and they really enjoyed it.

We talked about temptation and they played a little game where they walked over a snake that was lying still (a belt), and then had to jump over it while it was moving and try not to get bit by the snake (temptation). They had a blast and played this all day.

DSC_0095

DSC_0098

Sammy worked on Handwriting. In the coming weeks will will add more pages, but this week we kept it simple and did only a few things so that we didn’t overwhelm him. He did great.

DSC_0086

They did this art project where I drew pictures like fish, trees, people, etc. in white crayon and then when they painted over it with black water color paint and the pictures were to be revealed. This was to illustrate how in the beginning there was nothing, but when God spoke things appeared.

DSC_0127 DSC_0128

This is just an overview of this sweet curriculum. We had a great week. I was able to asses where I needed to add for Sammy, and will add accordingly. In addition to these things they played games on www.starfall.com and www.abcya.com . We also watched a Magic School Bus episode about Molecules and discussed it. 

1 comment:

MamaHen said...

Angela, this is great! It sounds like you had a wonderful week. I am so impressed with all your hands-on activities. I am sorely lacking in that regard. Loving your blog. Wendy Clark