This week I introduced Hailey Bug to fractions. Supplies needed: 2 tortilla Shells, 1 Dry Erase Board, 1 Dry Eraser Marker. I started by talking to her about the shells being a whole shell. I had her write down how many shells she had. I then had her fold one of the shells in half. We talked about how the shell was now in 2 pieces. I took a piece of the shell away and asked her how many shells she had. We talked about how to write 1/2. She seemed to really pick up on the concept so we took it a step further and folded the tortilla into 3 pieces and then 4 pieces. I had her practice writing different fractions on the board and presented a math problem using fractions. Concepts learned: 1/2+1/2=1, 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, how to write a fraction.
Sunday, November 1, 2009
Introducing Fractions
I have been searching for blogs that have ideas for older children and I realized that I myself have not offered any ideas other than pre-school. So here I go.
This week I introduced Hailey Bug to fractions. Supplies needed: 2 tortilla Shells, 1 Dry Erase Board, 1 Dry Eraser Marker. I started by talking to her about the shells being a whole shell. I had her write down how many shells she had. I then had her fold one of the shells in half. We talked about how the shell was now in 2 pieces. I took a piece of the shell away and asked her how many shells she had. We talked about how to write 1/2. She seemed to really pick up on the concept so we took it a step further and folded the tortilla into 3 pieces and then 4 pieces. I had her practice writing different fractions on the board and presented a math problem using fractions. Concepts learned: 1/2+1/2=1, 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, how to write a fraction.



This week I introduced Hailey Bug to fractions. Supplies needed: 2 tortilla Shells, 1 Dry Erase Board, 1 Dry Eraser Marker. I started by talking to her about the shells being a whole shell. I had her write down how many shells she had. I then had her fold one of the shells in half. We talked about how the shell was now in 2 pieces. I took a piece of the shell away and asked her how many shells she had. We talked about how to write 1/2. She seemed to really pick up on the concept so we took it a step further and folded the tortilla into 3 pieces and then 4 pieces. I had her practice writing different fractions on the board and presented a math problem using fractions. Concepts learned: 1/2+1/2=1, 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, how to write a fraction.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment