Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Mother’s Day Out

SAM_0152

A few weeks ago my husband and I made a very hard decision. One that took LOT’s of prayer, thought, discussion, and more prayer. We decided to put Christopher in a Mother’s Day Out program.

No big deal right? You see, Christopher was two years old when he came to us. He was a very sickly child. It has taken me until now to get him in reasonable health, and he’s still not quite there. When he was almost 3, the Doctor told us that if we ever wanted his immune system to build back up, and if we ever wanted him to get better, we were to take him out of Day Care, and keep him at home. During his time at home, we found out about his food allergies. With everything piling up, I just knew we would always keep him at home, and I was fine with that.

Well, we have had some issues with behavior with Christopher, and with this pregnancy being hard, and Hailey having the issues she is having, I knew something was going to have to be done. I talked with his pediatrician, and together we decided that Christopher needed some peer interaction so that he could learn some social skills. We talked about pre-school, but with all of his health issues, and with him just now getting better, I was very uncomfortable sending him. So, she suggested putting him in Mother’s Day Out, and that’s what we did.

So far things are going GREAT! Christopher loves it. His teacher is a Christian, and they are using the Abeka K-4 curriculum. She has taken such an interest in our family, and always makes herself available to talk and pray with me. Christopher can be a challenge when you combine Medical issues, and behavior, but she and the director have handled things with great care. They have even been great with his food allergies. I miss him a bunch, but I now see that this was the best choice I could make at this time.

I felt so guilty admitting that I needed help with him, and I wanted to share this story with you, incase you are like me. I’m not sending him away 5 days a week, all day. It’s only a few hours, and he loves it! If you find yourself in this situation, rest assure, it is ok. It is ok to admit that you need help. You are not less of a mom. We all need support.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

I think it takes a good... no scratch that... excellent mother to realize that what her child needs she may not be able to provide! Way to go, Mom!