
Homeschooling with or without special needs presents many challenges. I have enjoyed writing about them (haha), however, I felt like I should write about thankfulness since it is Thanksgiving and all.
Here is a list of a few reasons why I am thankful to be able to homeschool my SN children.
- I get to spend time with my kids
- I don’t have to fight for services needed
- I get to work with my kids on a one on one level, they would not get that in Public or Private school
- I can tailor their curriculum to fit their needs
- In Public school “off” days are not forgiven or accepted, at home I can see that they need a break and take it
- I get to experience firsts
- I don’t have to worry about getting an IEP, or “team” meetings, or being denied, or being held back
- There is no homework, so they can spend time with their father
- I can work on OT needs when needed and however needed without having to get permission
- I can set them up for success in social situations, instead of knowing they will fail
- If we want to go on a field trip we can, and I don’t have to make sure my kids have an aid with them
- If they need to see a specialist, or a therapist, we can go whenever there is an appointment, and I don’t have to worry about truancy
- I don’t have to ask permission to eat lunch with them, so food allergies are controlled by me
- I don’t have to fight for roles
- I can hug them as needed (even when not needed) this is vital to helping Hailey heal from her RAD
There are many, many reasons why we homeschool, I tried to narrow down a few that pertained to special needs. The most important thing for me is that I get to spend time with my kids.
Why are you thankful for special needs homeschooling?
3 comments:
I feel that if I put my 5 year old into school he will have many issues socially, academically, and emotionally. I have no desire to send him to school to discover how much of a hard time he might have. I always say that I don't have any special needs kids because they haven't been diagnosed with anything, but my 5 year old is pretty close to special needs and I love that I can keep him home for all the same reasons you listed!
Honestly Desiree,
Were it not for me pushing for a DX, because I thought we were sending him to public school, Christopher would not have a DX. There are different levels of needs with ALL children. Certainly, some greater than others, but homeschooling is awesome because really if you can tailor things at home, and work to provide what your child needs At HOME, a DX is not always necessarily needed. I know I post these post for Special needs Homeschooling, but I hope they help others as well.
Yes, your special needs posts help me a lot! Thanks! And, I live in Oregon.
Post a Comment